Monday and Tuesday were slower days of the trip, which in
some ways was really nice. But I have to be completely honest and say that I am
REALLY missing my kiddos. I think about them all the time. So having some
slower paced days was hard because there wasn’t as much to distract me from
missing them. Than being said, we still had fun and saw more wonderful things!
Monday was a lot of driving. Though things are not that far
apart distance wise, The roads ( in the North especially) are small, and slow.
We drove for a couple of hours and stopped in Aberdeen. The city itself was big
and industrial, but we walked on the beach for a while which was lovely.
Tuesday we got up and headed for the woods. There is nothing
like the woods in Scotland. I have said it before, but all of the Scottish stories
and legends seem to come to life and you can imagine warriors and mythical beasts all around.
Out in the woods we found this stone cave/house that was so awsome, it looked like a hobbit hole!
Out in the woods we found this stone cave/house that was so awsome, it looked like a hobbit hole!
later in the day we went into a different wood, deep and dark. It felt like we were in the Forbidden Forest from Harry Potter and I even convinced Brynt to take this great picture... he he.
For lunch we went into the lovely little town of Aberfieldy. I am sure it is getting old at this point, but I am still totally in love with all of these beautiful little villages. With their winding roads, tiny shops and friendly people, they are just so fun.
after lunch we went what I like to call "henge hunting". Brynt is absolutely fascinated with stone circles, and when he finds out there is one in the area, we go on a henge hunt. We were able to find this little one on the first try, not bad for totally guessing where it was :)
As Monday and Tuesday were slower days, I want to talk a bit about my favorite things, because there are so many little day to day things I have come to love over here.
British pound notes are colorful and bright, with castles and all sorts of historical figures all over. My favorite though are the one pound coins. they are heavy and thick and I just like the way they feel in your hand. The British have a lot of coins but they are pretty easy to keep straight and fun to use.
They have this black currant juice drink called Ribena that I think is amazing! I had never tasted anything with currants in it before, but I think I am going to grow a currant bush because I love this stuff so much.
The saying "Well done you!"-
Instead of "good job" the phrase I have heard a lot is "well done you!". I don't know why I think it is so great, it just sounds adorable when they say it, and so nice.
This one comes a with a bit of a confession. These "jammy doughnuts" from the local markets are so incredibly good. I am obsessed. Best doughnuts ever, and here is the confession... at one point in the trip we (mostly me) ate a bag a day for 4 days in a row. There are 5 in a bag and they are full sized doughnuts. part of me is really embarrassed at this out break of gluttony, and part of me thinks it was totally reasonable because they are so darn good. Oh yeah, and they are Cheap! 65p for five big doughnuts!
The Elderly-
Britain has the cutest old people. They dress in their sweaters and collared shirts and walk all over with their little dogs and are the cutest people ever.
Ok I personally don't love the taste of this one, but Brynt thinks it tastes great. What I like about it is that it is a Scottish soda made right in Scotland, it is called Irn Bru (Iron Brew), its orange and it tastes like....Bubble Gum. Not at all what I was expecting, but people love it here.
There are a million other things that I have come to love, and as the trip winds down I know I will miss these things when we get home.
But most of all, the Jammy Doughnuts.














No comments:
Post a Comment